The makers of 1800 Tequila produce some nice tequilas as well as a convenient margarita mix. Named "The Ultimate Margarita," this pre-made cocktail includes the tequila, so it's ready to pour and either shake or blend into a sweet and tart drink. Lightly alcoholic and available in several fruity flavors, this is a nice bottled cocktail for a picnic, potluck, last-minute get-together, or when you simply don't feel like mixing up a margarita from scratch.
- Ingredients: Tequila, triple sec, natural flavors, certified colors
- Proof: 19.9
- ABV: 9.95%
- Calories per 4-ounce serving: 130
- Taste: Sweet, fruity
- Serve: shaken, on the rocks, blended
What Is 1800 The Ultimate Margarita Made From?
Bottled cocktails are not as revealing in the ingredients or process as distilled spirits. There's very little known about what is in 1800 The Ultimate Margarita or how it's made other than the statement on the bottle which reads, "Made with premium tequila, triple sec, natural flavors, and certified colors."
When it was first released around 2006, this margarita mix clearly proclaimed that it was made with "100% blue Weber agave tequila," which is the standard for quality tequila. Around 2016, that distinction was replaced with "premium tequila," though the 1800 brand's straight tequilas continue to be distilled solely from Weber blue agave.
The 1800 Ultimate Margarita weighs in at a mere 9.95 percent alcohol by volume (ABV, or 19.9 proof). In comparison, the average shaken lime margarita can top 27 percent ABV (54 proof). That's a big difference, and it's not just a concern about how drunk you get when drinking it. While the margarita mix is similar in strength to drinking a light wine, the proof can also indicate taste characteristics. In this case, the bottled mix is missing some of that essential tequila flavor that makes the margarita great and it definitely has more sweetened lime.
What Does 1800 The Ultimate Margarita Taste Like?
If you're used to mixing your own margaritas, you will find this mix syrupy with only a hint of tequila. The lime flavoring (and, presumably, the other fruit flavors beyond the original bottle) is pronounced, offering a tart contrast to the sweetness. The taste is not the same as fresh-squeezed lime juice, but more like lime cordial.
As far as pre-mixed cocktails go, this is one of the better options, especially among those that don't require a separate bottle of tequila. In terms of quality and convenience in a single package, it's a good choice.
1800 The Ultimate Margarita is available in various flavors. Over the years, the lineup has changed, though peach, pineapple, and raspberry have remained in the portfolio rather consistently. And, of course, the "Original" margarita is always going to be around. As of 2021, the flavors include:
- Original: Lime with a hint of orange from the triple sec; this flavor is designed to taste similar to the original margarita, though it's much sweeter.
- Jalapeño Lime: For those with a taste for spicy cocktails, this is a fun option that adds the flavor of jalapeño peppers to the lime margarita. It's not too hot and suitable for most drinkers.
- Peach: A favorite flavor, many fans of this margarita mix enjoy peach the most.
- Pineapple: With a tropical fruit taste, this sweet-tart margarita mix is a fun change of pace.
- Raspberry: Enjoy the sweet taste of raspberries in a convenient margarita mix.
- Watermelon: Another fan favorite, the watermelon margarita is ideal for summer parties.
How to Drink The 1800 Ultimate Margarita
You will want to shake or blend this margarita rather than pour it straight out of the bottle. A little dilution goes a long way toward reducing the puckery sweetness and making it more drinkable.
- On the Rocks: Shake 5 ounces of margarita mix with ice and pour into a margarita glass with additional ice, if you prefer.
- Blended Margarita: Blend 1 cup of ice with 5 ounces of margarita mix.
Adding a salt rim to the glass will also counteract the sweetness. A sugar rim is not recommended because it's already so sweet. Topping it off with soda for a little sparkle can produce a very refreshing drink. You might even want to add an extra shot of tequila, but that defeats the purpose. Honestly, if that's your intent, you might as well grab a lime and triple sec and make a fresh margarita.
Where to Buy
The 1800 Ultimate Margarita Mix is one of the most widely distributed bottled margaritas on the market. It is very easy to find in liquor stores, supermarkets, and online, though not every flavor will be available everywhere. The price is very reasonable and in line with other bottled cocktails of similar quality.
This margarita mix is not available in the standard 750-milliliter bottle. Instead, you will have to purchase 1.75-liter bottles, and that's a good thing. If you plan on serving blended margaritas or more than four people, the mix does not go far. Also, because it is so light and sweet, it is typically gone before you know it.