This 3-layer Kentucky jam cake is a regional specialty. It's a spice cake made with seedless blackberry jam and a variety of spices, usually frosted with caramel frosting. A cream cheese frosting would be wonderful on the cake as well, adding an extra richness.
- 8 ounces (1 cup) butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 5 eggs
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup seedless blackberry jam
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup chopped raisins or dates
- Preheat oven to 325 F.
- Cream butter and sugar until light. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Combine flour, soda, salt, and spices in a separate bowl; add to the first mixture alternately with buttermilk; beating well after each addition.
- Blend in the jam, chopped pecans, and raisins or dates. Pour into 3 round greased and floured 8 to 9-inch cake pans.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until a cake tester or wooden pick comes out clean when inserted in center. Cool in pans on racks for 15 minutes. Carefully invert onto racks to cool completely.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||39 g|
|Saturated Fat||17 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||15 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|