|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 6 Servings|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 15g||19%|
|Saturated Fat 6g||28%|
|Total Carbohydrate 58g||21%|
|Dietary Fiber 18g||65%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This ground beef chili is hearty and delicious, and it takes only 30 minutes from start to finish! Don't feel overwhelmed by the list of ingredients, many are suggested toppings.
The ground beef is quickly browned, then it is combined with a spice mixture, beans, and tomatoes for a quick and easy meal for a busy day. It's also easy on the budget.
If you're making this for a party game day gathering, offer several toppings with the chili and add a bowl of tortilla chips to the menu. The recipe is easily doubled.
Related: Favorite Crock Pot Chili Recipes
- For the Seasoning Mix:
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons onion (dried minced)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- For the Chili:
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef (at least 85% lean)
- 1 can/14.5 ounces diced tomatoes
- 1 can/14.5 ounces diced tomatoes with mild green chile peppers*
- 1 can/8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 can/15 to 16 ounces black beans (undrained)
- salt to taste
- Optional: shredded cheddar, cheddar-jack, or a Mexican blend of cheeses
- For Toppings (optional):
- sour cream
- green onion (chopped)
- red onion (chopped)
- lettuce (shredded)
- tomatoes (diced)
In a small bowl or cup, combine the chili powder with the dried minced onion, cumin, oregano, sugar, garlic powder, and the black and cayenne peppers. Blend well and set aside.
Drain the ground beef well. Return the beef to the pan over medium heat. Add the chili seasoning mix and stir to blend.
Add the 2 cans of tomatoes, tomato sauce, and undrained black beans. Stir to blend ingredients.
Bring the chili to a simmer. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes.
Taste and add salt, as needed.
- If you don't have diced tomatoes with chile peppers, use regular diced tomatoes and add mild green chile peppers. Or, use about 1 to 1 1/2 cups of chunky mild to medium salsa in place of the second can of tomatoes.