|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 4 to 6 Servings|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 23g||30%|
|Saturated Fat 11g||56%|
|Total Carbohydrate 47g||17%|
|Dietary Fiber 3g||10%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This recipe for a 7-layer casserole is made in layers. The savory layers include ground beef, rice, corn, tomato sauce, and other vegetables. It's a complete meal in one dish and is wonderful served with crusty rolls or cornbread and a tossed green salad.
The original recipe, from a 1950s Hunt's Tomato Sauce ad, was made with another can of tomato sauce in place of the diced tomatoes. We added an optional eighth layer of shredded cheese.
- 1 cup uncooked rice (washed and drained)
- 1 cup whole kernel corn (drained)
- Dash salt
- Dash pepper
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup onion (chopped)
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper (chopped)
- 3/4 to 1 pound extra lean ground beef (uncooked and broken up)
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes (undrained, or another can of tomato sauce mixed with 1/4 cup of water)
- 4 strips bacon (cut in half)
- Optional: 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese or Cheddar Jack blend
Gather the ingredients.
Put the rice in a 2-quart baking dish.
Spoon the corn evenly over the rice layer and sprinkle lightly with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Combine the 1 can of tomato sauce with 1/2 cup of water and pour over the corn layer.
Sprinkle with the chopped onion and bell pepper.
Top the onion and pepper layer with the ground beef and sprinkle lightly with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Then, pour over the can of diced tomatoes.
Top with the strips of bacon.
Cover tightly with foil and bake at 350 F for 1 hour.
Uncover and cook 30 minutes longer, until bacon is crisp.
If desired, top with shredded cheese, return to the oven and continue baking just until the cheese has melted.