Aaloo Ka Bharta or seasoned, mashed potato Indian-style has its home in the state of Bihar in North India. Serve it with hot chapatis (Indian flatbread) topped with ghee.
- 5 large potatoes (mashed)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (or canola or sunflower oil)
- 1 large onion (chopped very fine)
- 8 to 10 cloves garlic (chopped very fine)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 piece ginger (1 inch, grated)
- 3 dry red chilliessalt to taste
- 2 tablespoons mustard oil
- Garnish: chopped coriander leaves
- Put the mashed potato in a large bowl and keep aside.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a small pan and add the cumin seeds to it. When the seeds stop spluttering, add the onion, ginger, and garlic and fry till soft.
- Add this to the mashed potato.
- Roast the dry red chilies till they begin to release their aroma. Crush coarsely and sprinkle over the potato.
- Pour the mustard oil over the potato and now mix all the ingredients to blend well.
- Garnish with chopped coriander and serve with hot chapatis (Indian flatbread) topped with ghee.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||8 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||5 g|
|Dietary Fiber||5 g|