|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 3g||4%|
|Saturated Fat 0g||1%|
|Total Carbohydrate 45g||16%|
|Dietary Fiber 6g||20%|
|Total Sugars 32g|
|Vitamin C 108mg||542%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
What better way to start your day than with a nutrient-packed superfood smoothie? This acai smoothie recipe is quick and easy to make, and will undoubtedly give you a great lift to your day.
What fruit to use is entirely up to you, but in my opinion berries work the best as they are small and bursting with goodness. Their size, flavor, and juiciness help your drink to be as smooth as possible (as a smoothie should be). Some fruits like apples or hard pears can make it a little grainy. Just choose your fruits the night before, cut larger ones into pieces, pop into a Ziploc bag, add in a couple of sliced bananas, and freeze for the next morning.
But we can't forget the star of this show: the acai berry. Acai is a berry from the Amazon forest in Brazil and is exploding with antioxidants which, aside from keeping a spring in your step, are reputedly also good for weight loss and have far-reaching claims about cancer as well.
In this smoothie recipe, organic freeze-dried berry powder is used to send the nutritional levels in this drink into the stratosphere. The powder is readily available in Whole Food stores, supermarkets, and online—but keep in mind that it has a short shelf life once opened, so only buy when needed.
1 1/2 cups frozen mixed fruits
1 cup almond milk (or regular milk)
4 tablespoons acai powder (organic, freeze-dried)
Gather the ingredients.
Tip the frozen fruits, milk, and acai powder into a blender and blitz until smooth. Pour into a glass and drink immediately.
The smoothie will keep in the refrigerator or a vacuum sealed container for a few hours, but is always best when fresh.
- Drinking your smoothie on the go? Save the crunchy textured toppings for when you use a spoon to scoop up the goodness.
- The milk you use is entirely up to you. Using nut milk adds extra flavor, vitamins, and is also suitable for a vegan diet. You can, of course, use any milk you wish dependent on your dietary requirement and preferences.
- As stated before, the fruit you use is up to you—but don't limit it just to fruits. A little chopped up celery adds a variety of taste. You could also try coconut sprinkled on top of a pineapple to bring a positively tropical spin.
- Want a little texture on your finished smoothie? Consider adding some crunch by sprinkling healthy nuts, grains, or seeds on top. If you are on the Chia seed bandwagon, add a few to the mix.
- Muesli or granola can also be used as toppings and will add extra texture.
- For natural sweetness, use a few slices of frozen banana in your fruit mixture.
How to Freeze Smoothies
- Make several smoothies ahead and freezes them in individual freezer containers or canning jars. If freezing in glass, make sure to leave about 1 1/2 to 2 inches of headspace in wide-mouth jars and about 2 1/2 inches in jars with shoulders.
How do you pronounce acai?
The word acai is pronounced ah-sigh-ee.
What is an acai berry?
Acai berries are a red-purple fruit that comes from acai palm trees found in South American rainforests. The 1-inch round fruits are about 80 percent seed.
What makes acai a superfood?
The acai berry is high in antioxidants, fiber, healthy fats, and calcium, so they are an excellent food to eat as part of a healthy diet.