|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 8g||10%|
|Saturated Fat 1g||5%|
|Total Carbohydrate 49g||18%|
|Dietary Fiber 8g||29%|
|Total Sugars 33g|
|Vitamin C 114mg||570%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
What better way to start your day than with this acai smoothie recipe, which is quick and easy to make, and will undoubtedly give you a great lift to your day.
What fruit to use is entirely up to you, but berries work the best as they are small and bursting with goodness. Their size, flavor, and juiciness help your drink to be as smooth as possible (as a smoothie should be). If you don't have frozen berries, just choose your fruits the night before, cut larger ones into pieces, add those to a zip-close bag, and freeze for the next morning.
But we can't forget the star of this show: the acai berry. Acai is a red-purple fruit that comes from acai palm trees found in South American rain forests. In this smoothie recipe, organic freeze-dried acai powder helps boost the nutrient content. Acai powder is available online, as well as in many health food stores and larger supermarkets.
Click Play to See This Fresh Acai and Berry Smoothie Come Together
"It's a tasty smoothie. For natural sweetness, I added a frozen banana along with some frozen strawberries, and it was very good. I also made one with a tropical fruit blend, and it was delicious." —Diana Rattray
Gather the ingredients.
Tip the frozen fruits, milk, and acai powder into a high-speed blender and blitz until smooth. Pour into a glass and drink immediately.
The smoothie will keep in the refrigerator or a vacuum-sealed container for a few hours, but is always best when fresh.
- Drinking your smoothie on the go? Save the crunchy textured toppings for when you use a spoon to scoop up the goodness.
- The milk you use is entirely up to you. Using nut milk adds extra flavor and is suitable for a vegan diet.
- The fruit you use is up to you—but don't limit it just to fruits. A little chopped up celery adds a variety of taste, or a handful of baby spinach blends very well with berries.
- You could also try coconut sprinkled on top of pineapple to bring a positively tropical spin.
- Want a little texture on your finished smoothie? Consider adding some crunch by sprinkling nuts, grains, or seeds such as chia, flax, or hemp on top.
- Muesli or granola can also be used as toppings and will add extra texture.
- For natural sweetness, use a few slices of frozen banana in your fruit mixture.
How to Freeze Smoothies
- Make several smoothies ahead and freezes them in individual freezer containers or canning jars. If freezing in glass, make sure to leave about 1 1/2 to 2 inches of headspace in wide-mouth jars and about 2 1/2 inches in jars with shoulders.
How Do You Pronounce Acai?
The word acai is pronounced ah-sigh-ee.