This grilled squash recipe makes a great side dish for almost anything. You can get them ready and set them on the upper rack or off to the side of your grill, and pretty much forget about them until you are ready to eat.
- 3 small acorn squash
- 1/2 cup/120 mL asiago cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup.60 mL butter
- 2 tablespoons/30 mL fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon/15 mL brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons/10 mL fresh sage, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon/5 mL onion powder
- 1 teaspoon/5 mL maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon/5 mL salt
- 1 teaspoon/5 mL black pepper
1. Cut acorn squashes in half and remove seeds and strings. Cut about 1/2 inch deep, 1 inch long strip off of the outside portion of the squash halves. Don't make it too big. This will help to stabilize the squash on the grill grates. Place halves into a large cutting board and set aside.
2. Preheat grill for medium heat.
3. In a saucepan combine butter, sugar, sage, onion powder, maple syrup, salt and pepper and heat until butter is melted and sugar dissolved, about 3-4 minutes.
Brush mixture over the inside of the acorn squash.
4. Grill squash pieces cut side up over a medium indirect heat for about 45 minutes. Sprinkle cheese and parsley over the cut side of the squash and continue grilling for about 20 minutes or until the squash is soft and the cheese is browned. Remove from grill and serve warm.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||8 g|
|Saturated Fat||5 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||2 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|