Appropriately named "adult hot chocolate," this recipe is one of the easiest and most common ways to spike your cocoa. To make it, you will simply add a shot of peppermint schnapps to your favorite hot chocolate and a delicious, warm drink is yours to enjoy.
The schnapps not only gives it a mint-chocolate flavor, the alcohol also adds to the warming qualities of the drink and makes it a bit sweeter. When topped with whipped cream and chocolate sprinkles, you'll be treating yourself to one amazing cup of cocoa.
You might also see this same recipe under the names peppermint kiss, cocoanapps, or the snuggler. No matter what you call it, it is the perfect drink for a chilly night.
- 2 ounces peppermint schnapps
- 6 ounces hot chocolate (or amount needed to fill)
- Garnish: whipped cream
- Garnish: chocolate sprinkles or shaved chocolate
Gather the ingredients.
Pour the schnapps into a warm mug or Irish coffee glass.
Fill with hot chocolate.
Optionally, top with whipped cream and chocolate sprinkles or shaved chocolate.
Serve and enjoy!
- Around the holidays, pick up some mini candy canes to use as a garnish. Hang one on the side of the glass and allow it to melt in the warmth for an even mintier touch.
- Pre-heat your mug to keep the drink warmer longer. Simply fill the mug with hot water and let it sit for a few minutes, then dump it out before making the drink. In the microwave, simply warm the water-filled mug up for about 10 seconds.
- No peppermint schnapps in stock? If you have crème de menthe—either white or green—pour it instead. You'll actually be making a drink similar to the midnight snowstorm recipe.
- This recipe will work with your favorite hot chocolate recipe. Whether you prefer a powdered cocoa or a thick drinking chocolate, the schnapps is a great way to boost the flavor.
- If you prefer to make a smaller cup of cocoa, cut back on how much schnapps you pour. A full two ounces can easily overpower the chocolate taste if you pour less than 6 ounces.
- For the whipped cream, you can get as involved as you like. Making your own is fun and you can flavor it in interesting ways. Then again, a canned whipped cream is super convenient and tastes pretty good, too.
- If you really want to play up both flavors, mix up a hot peppermint patty. That recipe uses both peppermint schnapps and crème de menthe, along with crème de cacao.
- Add a hint of coffee flavor to your adult hot chocolate to give it even more dimension. Simply add a small shot of coffee liqueur as seen in the chocolate kiss recipe.
- For a nonalcoholic alternative, stir about 1/2 teaspoon of mint extract into your cocoa and skip the schnapps.
How Strong Is an Adult Hot Chocolate?
When made with a 30-proof schnapps, the recipe comes out to an extremely mild 3 percent ABV (6 proof), which is lighter than most beers. Its alcohol content with a 100-proof schnapps jumps up to 12 percent ABV (24 proof). Even that is equivalent to drinking a glass of wine, so go ahead and indulge!