|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 15g||19%|
|Saturated Fat 8g||42%|
|Total Carbohydrate 23g||8%|
|Dietary Fiber 0g||0%|
|Total Sugars 21g|
|Vitamin C 0mg||1%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
When you make an affogato, there's no need to choose between coffee and dessert after dinner. This is a brilliant Italian ice cream treat that's topped with espresso and it's incredibly easy to make. It's perfect for a dinner party, but it's too delightful to reserve for special occasions. Enjoy an affogato on a weeknight or when you need an utterly delicious afternoon pick-me-up.
The affogato was designed to feature two of Italy's favorite things: espresso and gelato. Literally meaning "drowned," affogato first appeared in the dictionary in the early 1990s and the dessert drink has since found fans worldwide. You can make it with espresso and vanilla gelato, or switch to strongly brewed coffee and vanilla ice cream. If you like, spike it with a liqueur—amaretto, hazelnut, and Irish cream are favorites.
In theory, pouring hot coffee over ice cream would cause it to melt, but that's not the case here. The trick is to serve it in an ice-cold glass or dessert dish. This balances out the temperature difference and the coffee will slide down the sides of the glass, encasing the sweet frozen cream. Place glasses in the freezer for at least 15 minutes—or before you sit down for dinner—and they'll be ready for your special dessert.
1 scoop vanilla gelato, or ice cream
2 ounces hot espresso, or strongly brewed hot coffee
Grated chocolate, for garnish
Gather the ingredients.
In a chilled glass or dessert dish, place a large scoop of vanilla gelato or ice cream.
Slowly pour the espresso or coffee over the ice cream.
Garnish with shaved or grated chocolate.
Serve with a spoon and enjoy!
- Espresso is traditional in the affogato, but it's not necessary. Instead, brew the strongest coffee you can. A French press, pour-over brewer, or moka pot will create a flavorful, rich coffee that's perfect for this treat.
- For the best affogato, use a gelato or ice cream flavored with real vanilla beans. The vanilla flavor will be more intense and natural, a perfect pairing for the coffee.
- If desired, pour an ounce of the liqueur of your choice over the ice cream. Hazelnut (e.g., Frangelico) and amaretto liqueurs add a nice nuttiness, though some people enjoy it with Irish cream. Coffee liqueur and espresso vodka are good options, too.
- For even more flavor dimension, pour a dessert wine, such as sherry or a tawny port. Moscatos or ice wines can be interesting but may get lost behind the coffee flavor.
- Italian amaros are a very interesting addition. A flavorful bitter like Averna or Ramazotti can make a big impact on an affogato.
- Switch from vanilla to chocolate or coffee ice cream.
- During the cold months, sprinkle the affogato with ground cinnamon or nutmeg for a seasonal touch.