This lovely ginger drink recipe is a variation on African ginger beer. It is refreshing when served chilled with sparkling water in hot weather, and is a warming brew served piping hot on a chilly day.
- 3 cups boiling water
- ½ cup peeled and grated fresh ginger root
- ½ cup agave nectar
- 1 teaspoon whole cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- ¼ cup lime juice
- ½ cup orange or tangerine juice
- 4 cups filtered water
- Place ginger, agave, cloves, and cinnamon in a stainless steel, porcelain, or heatproof glass container.
- Pour boiling water over the spices and let steep for at least one hour.
- Add lime, orange, and filtered water; stir and allow the mixture to sit for at least one more hour.
- Strain the brew through cheesecloth or a very fine sieve, and store in a non-reactive container (preferably glass).
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||0 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||0 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|