The air fryer is an excellent way to make healthy, low-fat crispy chicken breasts. The chicken is coated with beaten eggs and seasoned flour, then "fried" to perfection using almost no oil.
The air fryer works by circulating very hot air around the food, so only a small amount of fat is needed and the super-heated air results in remarkably juicy chicken. Olive oil spray or the more neutral-flavored avocado oil spray are excellent choices. If you don't have cooking oil spray, drizzle a small amount of oil evenly over the chicken pieces. The air-fryer is perfect for making multiple chicken dishes.
- Cooking oil spray (olive oil or avocado oil)
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Kosher salt (to taste)
- Freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 2 large eggs (beaten)
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (divided)
- 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- Optional: Chopped fresh parsley (for garnish)
Gather the ingredients.
Spray the inside of the air fryer basket with cooking oil spray.
Dry the chicken breasts thoroughly with paper towels and then sprinkle them lightly with kosher salt and black pepper.
Set out three shallow bowls. Add 1/2 cup of the flour to the first bowl, the beaten eggs to the second bowl, and combine the remaining 1 cup of flour and Cajun seasoning in the third bowl.
Dip a chicken breast in the first bowl of flour, flipping it to coat it thoroughly. Place the coated chicken breast in the beaten egg and turn it over to coat both sides. Shake off excess egg mixture and dip it into the seasoned flour, coating both sides. Shake off the excess flour and place the chicken breast on a plate. Repeat with the remaining chicken pieces.
Arrange the chicken breasts in the air fryer basket and spray them lightly with cooking oil spray.
Set the air fryer temperature to 390 F and set the timer for 16 minutes. Halfway through the cooking time, flip the chicken breasts and spray them lightly with cooking oil spray. When the time is up, use an instant-read thermometer to check the temperature. The minimum safe temperature for chicken is 165 F.
Arrange the chicken pieces on a serving tray and garnish with parsley if desired.
- For a crunchier coating, replace 1 cup of the flour with fine, plain breadcrumbs. Combine the breadcrumbs and Cajun seasoning in the third breading bowl.
- Replace the Cajun seasoning with a different spice mix. Try Old Bay or a Moroccan seasoning blend, or use a poultry seasoning mixture.
- Whisk 2 tablespoons of hot sauce or Buffalo sauce into the eggs.
- This recipe was made in a basket-style air fryer without preheating. If you opt to preheat the fryer, run it at temperature for about 3 minutes before adding the food to the basket.