Air fryer green beans are the easiest way to make green beans. They’re crispy on the outside, and tender, but still have a good bite to them. Plus, they are super tasty. This recipe keeps it simple with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and fresh garlic. It’s an easy, no-fuss side, and air frying your green beans does not require any blanching or pre-cooking of the beans at all. Let the air fryer do all of the work for you!
Serve these beans with your favorite main dishes like steak, pork chops, or fried chicken. They also go well with other sides such as mashed potatoes, rice pilaf, or macaroni and cheese. It’s a great holiday side dish or an easy weeknight veggie! You can also switch it up with different seasonings and get creative.
- 1 pound green beans
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 clove garlic (sliced)
Gather the ingredients.
Wash the green beans well. Trim both ends of the green beans. Keep them long or cut them into halves.
Toss the green beans in a bowl with the olive oil, garlic powder, salt, and pepper until they are coated in the oil and seasonings.
Lay the green beans in an even layer in the air fryer basket and top with the sliced garlic.
Air fry the green beans at 370 F for 7 to 9 minutes. There’s no need to turn them, but you can toss the basket if you wish. Serve warm.
- At the recommended cooking temperature, you should be fine using extra virgin olive oil. The oil has a smoke point of 375 F, so it's not the best choice for air fryer recipes that use higher temperatures; use pure olive oil instead for those.
- Substituting garlic salt for the powder may result in green beans that are too salty. If garlic salt is your only option, use it to replace both the garlic powder and salt in the recipe.
You can change up the seasonings or include some add-ins to these simple and easy green beans.
- Crunchy panko Parmesan green beans: Toss the green beans in olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. In a separate bowl, combine 1/3 cup panko breadcrumbs and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Toss the green beans in the panko mixture and add them to the air fryer. Spray with cooking spray and cook for the same amount of time.
- Almond green beans: Prepare the green beans as above, but add a teaspoon of maple syrup along with the olive oil and seasonings. Then toss in a 1/4 cup of sliced almonds. Cook as directed above.
- Asian green beans: Prepare as above but add 1 teaspoon each of sriracha sauce, maple syrup, and soy sauce.
- Green bean casserole alternative: Prepare the green beans as above, but add in 1 teaspoon of soy sauce and 1 cup of sliced mushrooms. Then, during the last 2 minutes of air frying, add in 1/2 cup of prepared fried onions.
Can Frozen Green Beans Be Cooked in the Air Fryer?
This air fryer recipe works well with frozen green beans and there's no need to thaw them before cooking. Simply toss the frozen beans with the seasoning and oil and add them to the air fryer as if they were fresh. You will want to shake the basket before cooking for an additional 3 minutes (about 12 to 13 minutes total). Some people have found that increasing the air fryer temperature to 400 F for those last few minutes makes them crispier.