Air fryer onion rings are impossibly crispy and so crave-worthy without any of the extra fat and calories.
When you hear air fryer onion rings, you might think they won’t be as good as the regular fried version. Let us tell you… they so are. Without a doubt these onion rings are so crispy on the outside, soft and sweet on the inside and are perfect for dipping into your favorite sauce. The best part is that you don’t have to feel any guilt. You can even use a paleo breading to make them paleo and keto diet friendly.
- 2 large sweet onions
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoon milk
- 2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
Gather the ingredients.
Cut off both ends of the onions and peel the skin off of them.
Slice the onions into thick rings.
Separate the rings carefully from each other. Set aside the inner most rings for another recipe. If the rings break you can still use them.
Prepare the different dredging bowls. Put the flour in one shallow bowl. Beat the eggs and milk in another shallow bowl. Add the panko breadcrumbs to the third shallow bowl. Split the smoked paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, and salt between each of the bowls. Whisk each bowl to evenly disperse the seasonings.
Dip the onion rings in the flour first. Completely coat both sides of the rings and the inner portion.
Dip the flour coated rings into the egg mixture. Make sure to completely coat with the egg so you cannot see any of the flour. You may need to flip the rings a few times.
Then dip the rings in the breadcrumb mixture. Coat them with the panko breadcrumbs, use your fingers to press the bread crumbs onto the rings.
Generously spray the inside of the air fryer with cooking spray. Carefully place a single layer of the onion rings into the air fryer and spray the top with cooking spray. Cook on 375 F for 10 minutes. Flip each ring halfway through the cooking time.
Keep the first batch warm in a 200 F oven. Cook the second batch of rings. Serve with your favorite dipping sauce.
- You can substitute the regular panko breadcrumbs for whole wheat ones. The panko crumbs work the best rather than regular breadcrumbs. They make for a crunchier breading as they are already such crunchy little pieces.
- You can add other seasonings to the breading like cayenne pepper, regular ground black pepper, and seasoned salt.
- Make sure to spray the onion rings thoroughly with cooking spray to get the nice golden brown crunchy coating.
- Serve them with creamy dipping sauces, honey mustard, or regular ketchup.