This crockpot chicken is flavored with a tasty orange marinade. This chicken should marinate in the refrigerator for about 6 hours, so start very early in the morning or the night before.
This dish is also good with pineapple in place of the mandarin orange slices, and it uses unsalted chicken broth with the cornstarch instead of the milk and water. If you aren't a fan of mushrooms, feel free to omit them. Or use part water or stock and part juice from pineapple or mandarin oranges.
It dish makes a tasty, saucy dish to serve over hot cooked rice or noodles.
- For the Marinade:
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons frozen orange juice concentrate
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 dash allspice
- 1 dash ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- For the Chicken and Remaining Ingredients:
- 6 chicken breast halves
- 6 to 8 ounces mushrooms (sliced)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 can/11 ounces mandarin oranges (drained)
- 1 small bell pepper (green or red, seeded, cut into strips)
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup milk (cold)
- 1/4 cup water (cold)
Gather the ingredients.
Combine marinade ingredients in a non-reactive container with a lid or a large food storage bag; blend well. Add the chicken to marinade; cover or seal the bag and refrigerate for 6 to 8 hours or overnight.
Place the marinated chicken in the slow cooker. In a saucepan over high heat, bring the marinade to a full boil and then pour it over the chicken.
Sauté the mushrooms in the butter and then add them to the chicken and marinade in the slow cooker.
Cover and cook on low for 5 to 6 hours, or until the chicken is cooked.
About 1 hour before the dish is done, add the drained mandarin orange sections, green peppers, and ginger; stir well.
When the dish is done, mix together the cornstarch, milk, and cold water, then gradually add into the slow cooker while stirring; cover and cook for 10 to 15 minutes longer, or until the sauce has thickened.
- Replace the mandarin orange slices with pineapple chunks or tidbits (a drained 8-ounce can).
- Instead of orange juice add some orange marmalade.
- Omit the milk and use all water or use unsalted chicken stock.
- Add a teaspoon or two of chili garlic paste (sambal) for some heat.
- Add about 1 teaspoon of sesame oil.