A crockpot chicken recipe with orange marinade. This chicken should marinate in the refrigerator for about 6 hours, so start very early in the morning or the night before.
This dish is also good with pineapple in place of the mandarin orange slices, and I use unsalted chicken broth with the cornstarch instead of the milk and water. If you aren't a fan of mushrooms, feel free to omit them. Or use part water or stock and part juice from pineapple or mandarin oranges.
See the reader comments for more suggestions.
Related: Sweet and Sour Chicken, Slow Cooker
- For the Marinade:
- 2 cups
- chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons frozen orange juice concentrate
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can/6 ounces
- tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 dash allspice
- 1 dash ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- For the Chicken and Remaining Ingredients:
- 6 chicken breast halves
- 6 to 8 ounces mushrooms (sliced)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 can/11 ounces mandarin oranges (drained)
- 1 small bell pepper (green or red, seeded, cut into strips)
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup milk (cold)
- 1/4 cup water (cold)
- Combine marinade ingredients in a non-reactive container with a lid or a large food storage bag; blend well. Add the chicken to marinade; cover or seal the bag and refrigerate for 6 to 8 hours or overnight.
- Place the marinated chicken in the slow cooker. In a saucepan over high heat, bring the marinade to a full boil and then pour it over the chicken.
- Sauté the mushrooms in the butter and then add them to the chicken and marinade in the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 5 to 6 hours, or until the chicken is cooked.
- About 1 hour before the dish is done, add the drained mandarin orange sections, green peppers, and ginger; stir well.
- When the dish is done, mix together the cornstarch, milk, and cold water, then gradually add into the slow cooker while stirring; cover and cook for 10 to 15 minutes longer, or until the sauce has thickened.
Tips and Variations
- Replace the mandarin orange slices with pineapple chunks of tidbits (8-ounce can, drained)
- Omit the milk and use all water or use unsalted chicken stock.
- Add a teaspoon or two of chili garlic paste (sambal) for some heat.
- Add about 1 teaspoon of sesame oil.
Reader Comments and Suggestions
"My first crockpot recipe in many years! Wonderful start. My husband loved it. It will be a standard in our house. Even though we had no frozen orange juice concentrate, I substituted orange marmalade and it worked well. Thanks!" — Jeanne
"... right before serving, I used 2 cups of the marinade from the crockpot to make our rice. YUM! Gave the rice a perfect flavor. Thanks for sharing this fabulous recipe! I'll be passing this on to friends and family!" — Jess
"...It is pretty saucy, so I would recommend serving it over white rice or maybe even noodles! I will definitely make this over and over again! Thanks for the great dinner!" — Jenn
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||75 g|
|Saturated Fat||22 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||29 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|