This recipe is for a deliciously crispy (and at the same time, creamy) sandwich cookie that rivals the store-bought brands. You can substitute the almond butter for peanut butter, sunflower seed butter, cashew butter, or even chocolate-hazelnut butter! Get creative and let your tastebuds guide you.
- For the Cookies:
- 1/2 tablespoon flaxseed meal (ground flaxseeds)
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 cup vegan margarine (cold)
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour ( you can also use all-purpose flour)
- 1 cup rolled oats
- For the Sandwich Filling:
- 1 tablespoon vegan margarine (slightly softened)
- 1 1/4 cup confectioner's sugar
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- 2 tablespoons water
To Make the Cookies
- Gather the ingredients.
- In a small bowl, mix together the flax seed meal and 1 tablespoon water and allow to set until gelled, about 5 minutes. In a large bowl, cream together the margarine, almond butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla extract, and then fold in the prepared flax seed mixture. Stir gently just to combine and then stir in the baking powder and baking soda, making sure to mix well. Gradually add both the flour and the rolled oats, adding about 1/2 cup at a time, stirring well and scraping sides of the bowl in between each addition.
- Drop the cookie dough by rounded teaspoonfuls onto a lightly greased baking sheet, about 1 1/2 inches apart. Press each dough ball down with a fork, two times to form a criss-cross pattern and to slightly flatten the cookie, just as you would a peanut butter cookie.
- Bake the cookies on the middle rack of your preheated oven for 9 to 11 minutes, or until the cookies are light golden brown in color. Allow the cookies to cool completely on a wire rack before attempting to move, and especially before adding the filling. Adding the filling while the cookies are hot will make the filling melt.
To Make the Filling
In a medium sized bowl, cream all the ingredients for the filling together and mix very well until smooth. Using a butter knife, spread the filling in a thin layer on the bottom (flat side) of one cookie and place another cookie (again, the flat bottom of the cookie facing toward the filling) on top of the filling to make a sandwich, pressing down gently to adhere the cookies to one another. Repeat with all cookies.
Store in airtight container for up to 2 weeks. These tend to get crunchier as time goes by; therefore, they keep very well.