Almond pudding is often made with milk that has been flavored with ground almonds or with almond extract. This pudding starts with almond milk (such as Silk) and is thickened with cornstarch. Chill it in a pudding mold and serve it with a contrasting fruit sauce for a dairy-free dessert.
This dessert is related to blancmange or pannacotta, both of which are milk puddings thickened with gelatin; blancmange is usually flavored with almond extract.
- For the Pudding:
- 2 cups almond milk
- 1/2 cup sugar (or sugar substitute to taste)
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water (cold)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (or 1 tablespoon vanilla sugar)
- For the Fruit Sauce:
- 1 cup berries
- Optional: sugar (or sugar substitute, to taste)
Make the Pudding:
- Heat the almond milk and stir in the sugar.
- Mix the cornstarch with about 2 tablespoons cold water.
- Pour the cornstarch in a slow stream into the almond milk, whisking constantly.
- Add the salt and vanilla and stir until thickened.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and let it boil for about 15 seconds and then remove from the heat.
- Pour into a pudding mold or individual serving dishes. It is easier to unmold the pudding if the mold has been lightly sprayed or wiped with a little oil.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until set.
- Unmold on a plate and serve cold with a simple fruit sauce.
Make the Fruit Sauce:
- Microwave fresh or frozen fruit until it is hot.
- Mash and serve over the pudding or put through a sieve for a smooth, brightly colored sauce.
- Add sugar or sugar substitute to taste.
For a soft soft-set pudding, increase almond milk to 3 cups.
Some variations you can make:
- A chocolate almond pudding with the addition of cocoa
- A chai almond pudding with the addition of cinnamon, cardamom, and cloves
- An apple and brown sugar almond pudding
- A tropical fruit almond pudding by serving it over a bed of mandarin oranges and pineapple.
Alternatively, you can always include single additions of:
- Lemon zest and/or juice
- Maple syrup
- Shredded coconut
The fruit additions can be mixed into the pudding or arranged as a topping before chilling.