This tasty rice pilaf dish features slivered almonds.
Rice pilaf refers to rice that is cooked by the "pilaf method," in which the uncooked rice is first sautéed in butter, after which hot liquid or stock is added, and then the pot is covered and cooked in the oven until all the liquid is absorbed.
For that reason, you'll want to make sure to use a saucepan that's safe for the stovetop and the oven — including the lid.
Sautéeing the rice brings out nutty, toasty flavors, and it also makes the individual grains of rice less sticky, so you get a finished rice that's light and fluffy.
Also see: How to Cook Rice
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 2 tablespoon onion, finely diced
- ½ cup slivered almonds
- 1½ cups chicken stock or broth
- 1 bay leaf
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 2 tablespoon chopped Italian parsley
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Heat a heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat, then add the butter. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, bring the stock or broth to a boil.
- When the butter gets foamy, add the diced onion and almonds and sauté until the onion is slightly translucent about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the uncooked rice and sauté, stirring constantly, for about a minute, or until the rice is fully coated with the melted butter.
- Add the hot stock or broth, bring it back to a boil, then add the bay leaf. Cover and place the entire pot in the oven.
Tip: Check the seasoning of the cooking liquid and make any necessary adjustments before the pot goes into the oven.
- Cook the rice in the oven for 18 minutes or until all the liquid is absorbed. If after 18 minutes there's still liquid in the pot or the rice is still too moist, re-cover and return the pot to the oven for another 2 to 4 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the oven and gently fluff the rice with a wooden fork. Remove the bay leaf and discard. Then place a paper towel across the top of the pot, replace the lid and let the rice stand for 10 minutes. Garnish with the chopped parsley and serve right away.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||15 g|
|Saturated Fat||4 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||8 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|