|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
- 3/4 cup sliced almonds
- 2.5 cups all-purpose flour (for best results sift or spoon the flour into the measuring cup)
- 1/3 - 2/3 cup sugar (granulated) (or to desired sweetness)
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 stick of cold butter
- 1/4 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup buttermilk or heavy cream
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. While the oven is preheating, toast the almonds, stirring occasionally, until they are lightly browned.
In a large mixing bowl, mix the remaining dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt).
Use a pastry cutter to cut in the butter. The mixture is done when it resembles coarse cornmeal.
Add the almonds, almond extract and vanilla extract. Do not stir yet.
With minimal stirring, mix in just enough buttermilk or heavy cream to make the dough stick together. It will be crumbly and there should still be a little bit of dry flour left in the mixing bowl.
Turn the dough out on a heavily floured cutting board.
Knead the dough slightly. When it is done, it should be easy to handle and smooth.
Gently pat the dough to one or two 1–inch thick discs.
Cut each disc into 6 to 8 pieces.
Transfer the scones to a buttered or parchment-lined baking sheet and bake in preheated 400-degree oven for 10-20 minutes or until lightly golden. (Optional: Turn pan halfway through baking.)
Cool on the baking sheet.