This amaretto cake is rich and indulgent. With a pound cake-like texture, this delectable dessert is flavored with almond extract and amaretto in both the cake and in the glaze.
You can bake this delight in a Bundt cake pan or tube cake pan if desired. Serve small slices with berries or sliced fruit of your choice.
- Preheat oven to 325 F. Grease and flour a 12-cup Bundt cake pan or tube cake pan.
- In a large mixing bowl with electric mixer, cream butter, and cream cheese with 2 2/3 cups of the sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in almond extract.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Combine the milk with 1/4 cup of the amaretto liqueur.
- Add dry mixture to the creamed mixture in three additions, alternating with the milk mixture and ending with dry ingredients.Mix the batter until smooth and well blended.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 1 hour, or until a toothpick or cake tester comes out clean when inserted in center.
- Meanwhile, combine the remaining 3/4 cup of amaretto with 1/3 cup sugar in a saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring until sugar is dissolved.
- Remove from heat and let cool. Remove to a rack and cool in the pan for 15 minutes.
For Tube Cake Pan:
- With a metal or wooden skewer or toothpick, prick cake all over.
- Slowly spoon half of the amaretto and sugar mixture over the cake.
- Let the cake stand for 10 minutes; loosen sides and invert onto a rack or large plate.
- Prick the bottom all over and slowly spoon the remaining amaretto mixture over the cake. Invert onto a serving plate and let the cake cool completely.
For Bundt Cake Pan:
- With a metal or wooden skewer or toothpick, prick cake all over while still in the pan. Slowly spoon half of the amaretto and sugar mixture over the cake.
- Let the cake stand for 10 minutes; invert onto a cake plate. Prick the top all over and slowly drizzle the remaining amaretto mixture over the cake.