The American dream is a cute and tasty patriotic cocktail that is ideal for any American-themed occasion like the Fourth of July. It is the creation of Bridget Albert, Master Mixologist and author of "Market-Fresh Mixology." It is a fantastic mix of pomegranate and cherry, featuring a black cherry rum and Pama Liqueur.
The real magic, however, is the use of fondant, which you can buy from cake or candy suppliers. This candy paste is cut into miniature stars and stuck to the inside of the glass before straining the drink. It creates a fun, star-studded presentation and is an idea you can use with any red or blue cocktail.
- 1 ounce pomegranate liqueur (Pama)
- 1 ounce black cherry rum
- 1 1/2 ounces pomegranate cherry juice (POM Wonderful)
- 1/2 ounce sour mix (fresh)
- Garnish: white fondant stars
- Garnish: blueberries
Gather the ingredients.
Cut mini stars out of white fondant.
Using water, lightly wet the back of each star and gently press it into the inside of a cocktail glass. Let sit for 5 minutes.
In a cocktail shaker filled ice, pour the pomegranate liqueur, rum, juice, and sour mix.
Garnish with blueberries on a pick.
Serve and enjoy!
- Black cherry (or any cherry, for that matter) is not a common flavor of rum. There are a few brands that produce it; Cruzan is the most common and relatively easy to find.
- Fresh sour mix is easy to make at home. It saves money over the store-bought variety and offers a fresher taste that you can customize. To make it, simply combine simple syrup (1 cup water and 1 cup sugar) with 2 cups of citrus juice. An equal mix of lemon and lime juices is most common.
- This cocktail is just as good (if not better) with regular white rum. If you can't find the black cherry rum, don't worry too much and make the drink with your preferred rum instead.
- Use a straight pomegranate juice rather than a blend that includes cherry, if you like. To keep that hint of cherry, this option is best with black cherry rum.
- Switch to a cherry-flavored vodka. It's easier to find than the rum and produced by a number of popular brands, including Effen, Smirnoff, and Svedka.
- The dark fruits of this cocktail could use a little boost. To give it new life, add a splash of ginger ale after straining the drink.
How Strong Is an American Dream Cocktail?