This very popular cake, most often prepared in a special almond cake pan, can be found at almost any American-Scandinavian get-together or holiday bazaar. Toasting the almonds adds a buttery richness to the standard recipe.
- 1/8 cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup margarine (or butter, softened to room temperature)
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 tsp. almond extract
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- Optional Garnish: powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. When oven has come to heat, place almonds in shallow pan and roast in the oven for 8 to 10 minutes, just until lightly browned.
- Cream together margarine and sugar. Stir in egg, almond extract, and milk. Sift together flour and baking powder; stir into batter until well-blended and no lumps remain.
- Lightly coat an almond cake pan or loaf pan with cooking spray. Sprinkle toasted almonds in bottom of the pan, and then pour batter on top.
- Bake in the oven until golden-brown, about 40 minutes. Cool thoroughly in the pan to prevent the cake from breaking when removed; sprinkle with powdered sugar, if desired, before serving. Cake freezes beautifully.
Yield: 18 slices Scandinavian Almond Cake.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||5 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||2 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|