|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 18 servings|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 1g||1%|
|Saturated Fat 0g||1%|
|Total Carbohydrate 14g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 0g||2%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Orange zest flavors these light and flavorful angel food cupcakes. The cupcakes are made with no added fat and a relatively low amount of sugar.
I love these cupcakes with a fluffy frosting like this basic seven minute frosting. Add some orange or lemon zest to the frosting for flavor.
- 1/2 cup cake flour
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar (sifted)
- 6 large egg whites (about 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 teaspoons orange zest (finely grated)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Gather the ingredients.
- Line 18 muffin cups with paper muffin cups. Heat oven to 350° F.
- Sift the flour and powdered sugar together 3 times; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat or whisk egg whites with the salt until frothy. Add the cream of tartar; continue beating to soft peaks. Add granulated sugar, about 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form.
- With a spatula, fold in about 1/3 of the flour and powdered sugar mixture. Fold in another 1/3, then finish with remaining mixture. Gently fold in the orange zest and vanilla.
- Using a small ice cream scoop or large tablespoon and fill the prepared muffin cups about 2/3 to 3/4 full.
- Bake the cupcakes for about 15 to 17 minutes, or until lightly browned. Cool for 5 minutes in pan on rack. Remove cupcakes to a rack to cool completely.