Louisville Distilling Company's bourbon Angel's Envy is one of the most exciting and delicious bourbons to come on the market in years. Launched in 2011, this whiskey quickly won over the taste buds of whiskey lovers and rose to the top ranks of truly notable Kentucky bourbons.
The Making of Angel's Envy Bourbon
Angel's Envy uses the unique process of finishing their bourbon in used port wine barrels. It was designed by Lincoln Henderson, the former Brown-Forman master distiller, and creator of Woodford Reserve. Henderson is a legend in the industry with over 40 years experience to bring to the table.
The mash bill of Angel's Envy is made up of 72 percent corn, 18 percent rye, and 10 percent malted barley. Each of the grains is locally sourced and non-GMO.
The Angel's Envy portfolio has expanded since the initial release of the impressive Port Cask Finish. As of 2017, the distillery in downtown Louisville also produce these bottlings:
- Cask Strength: A limited run of around 8,000 bottles is regularly released and cask strength is the fullest flavored version of Angel's Envy you will find. It is bottled straight out of the port finishing barrel, meaning the bourbon retains its full 124.6 proof. Understandably, the price tag reflects this whiskey's rarity and it regularly sells for $180.
- Rye Whiskey Finished in Rum Barrels: This whiskey is comprised of 95 percent rye and 5 percent malted barley. The lack of corn means that it cannot be considered a bourbon. Aged for 18 months in used Caribbean rum casks that were first used for cognac, the whiskey is matured for six to seven years in total. It weighs in at a flavorful 100 proof and regularly sells for around $80 a bottle.
Tasting Notes: Angel's Envy Bourbon Port Cask Finish
You can expect these elements when enjoying this bourbon.
Angel's Envy has one of the most sensual bouquets ever nosed on a bourbon. Soft, gentle, and with aromas of warm caramels, maple candy, satsumas, brown sugar, and praline, the bouquet is a study in subtle complexities.
Body and Palate
Angel's Envy offers a rich mouthfeel and a sumptuous banquet of flavors on the palate. The effect of the port barrel finish is evident in the sophistication and complexity of flavors.
Everything is perfectly balanced and the port doesn't overwhelm the natural bourbon flavors but instead perfectly complements it. Vanilla bundt cake, cinnamon, mint, and orange flavors abound with a deliciously burnt sugar undertone and solid oak notes.
Fans of bourbons with long, complex finishes will flock to Angel's Envy. The port influence is most evident here, providing solid flavors of walnut and oak, orange marmalade, fresh mint, and Seville orange. It's a long, lingering, and utterly delicious finish.
It's a Bourbon for Bourbon Enthusiasts
Angel's Envy is an amazing bourbon and one that both bourbon aficionados and those just beginning their whiskey journey should seek out. It has lived up to its original enthusiasm. Angel's Envy is a must have for anyone serious about good bourbon.
About Angel's Envy Bourbon Port Cask Finish
- Kentucky straight bourbon whiskey aged for four to six years in American white oak barrels and finished in ruby port casks for three to six months
- Produced by Louisville Distilling Company, LLC of Louisville, Kentucky
- Released in 2011
- 43.3 percent alcohol by volume (86.6 proof)
- Retails for around $48 for a 750-mL bottle
Disclosure: Review samples were provided by the manufacturer.