Berries are recognized as some of the most powerful superfoods in the plant kingdom. They're rich in disease-fighting antioxidants, they're heart-healthy, and they're considered to be vital foods in anti-aging medicine. On top of that, they’re delicious.
This gluten-free, dairy-free antioxidant berry banana smoothie makes a great breakfast in warm weather, or a yummy pick-me-up in midmorning or mid-afternoon.
- 1 cup coconut water (unsweetened, organic)
- 1 1/2 cups berries (mixed, organic, such as strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, or blueberries)
- 1 banana (ripe, cut into chunks)
- Optional: 1 tablespoon protein powder
- Optional: 4 ice cubes
Blend all ingredients in a blender on high speed until smooth.
- If you can't find fresh berries, use frozen. Freezing doesn't detract from their nutrients. Better yet, buy fresh berries while they're in season, seal them in freezer-proof sealable bags and save them for the winter months.
- Use this smoothie as a meal replacement when on the go. It provides plenty of energy and it helps to control cravings if you get the munchies.
- Dairy variation: This recipe is dairy-free, but you can add yogurt or skim milk without detracting from the smoothie's antioxidant properties if you don't follow a dairy-free diet. You can also use nut milk.
- Sweeten it up: Add honey for sweetness or pomegranate juice for extra berry flavor. Adding liquid to the blender will thin out the berries a little, but it will allow them to move more freely in the blender. Add liquids a little at a time, so you can monitor the smoothie for the consistency you like best.