|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: Serves 4|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 24g||31%|
|Saturated Fat 9g||43%|
|Total Carbohydrate 48g||17%|
|Dietary Fiber 7g||26%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Not only does this stuffed this recipe give you a beautiful looking pork loin, but the combination of the fruit flavor from the tart Granny Smith apple and the sweetness of the apricots combined with the Italian seasonings, makes this one delicious meal. Whether you use a charcoal or gas grill this recipe is actually easier than it sounds. The grilling time is relatively short because of the hot brazing done on the grill to caramelize the surface of the roast.
- 2 pounds/900 g pork loin roast
- 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored and diced
- 6 dried apricots, minced
- 1/2 cup/120 mL Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon/15 mL olive oil
- 1 tablespoon/15 mL minced fresh sage (or 1 teaspoon/5 mL dried sage)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon/5 mL salt
- 1/2 teaspoon/2.5 mL black pepper
- Gather the ingredients.
- Trim pork loin of fat and sheath. Butterfly or roll cut the pork loin. If you butterfly it, pound it to about 1 inch thickness. Season with salt and pepper. In a bowl, combine the apple, apricots, Parmesan cheese, garlic and sage. Mix well. Spread apple mixture over the pork. Roll the pork loin back up and tie with kitchen twine. Space the string about 2 inches apart. Secure the stuffed pork loin tightly. Preheat grill and prepare for indirect grilling. Coat the outside of the pork loin roast with olive oil. Let the stuffed pork loin roast sit for about 15 to 20 minutes before you place it on the grill.
- Place the stuffed pork loin over the direct heat on your grill to brown the outside. Roll so that the entire surface gets about 2 minutes of direct heat. Transfer to the indirect portion of the grill and continue grilling for about 30 minutes. Check for doneness with an instant read meat thermometer. Remember to take several readings from the center of the pork loin and to consider the lowest to be accurate. Once internal temperature of roast reaches 165 F, it is done.
- Remove the stuffed pork loin roast from the grill. Let is stand for about 5 minutes, then carve pork loin into even slices end to end. Make the slices about 1 inch thick and use a very sharp knife so you can get a good slice that shows the spiral of the stuffed pork loin.