This creamy, velvety soup brings together the classic combination of brie and fresh apples. The cheese creates a wonderful savory and sharp flavor to soup while bringing a very nice creamy texture. Apples and spice lend an interesting depth of flavor. This will become everyone's favorite comfort soup. A delightful starter to any meal, the addition of bread makes this soup into a meal itself.
- 8 ounces brie cheese (rind cut off, cut into cubes)
- 2 large apples (peeled, cored, and cut into 1 inch cubes)
- 1 sweet yellow onion (peeled and roughly chopped)
- 1 stalk of celery (roughly chopped)
- 2 1/2 cups of chicken stock (or, water)
- 3 tablespoons of butter (unsalted)
- 2 tablespoons of flour
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- Salt, to taste
- Garnish: Small bunch of chives (sliced 1/4-inch on the bias)
- Garnish: 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat.
Add the onions, apples, and celery. Saute until soft (about 8 to 10 minutes).
Add the flour to make a roux (this is what will thicken the soup) and continue to cook for another 2 minutes.
Pour in the chicken stock or water while continuing to whisk the mixture.
Add the white pepper, cumin, and ginger. Bring to a boil.
Reduce temperature to a simmer and continue to cook for 15 minutes.
Remove the mixture from heat and puree in a blender or food processor.
Return the pureed mixture to the pot and bring back to a medium temperature.
Add the cheese cubes. After the cheese has melted, mix well.
Add salt to your taste.
Just before serving, whisk in the heavy cream, and sprinkle on chives and nutmeg.
Serve with good bread.
Use Caution When Blending Hot Ingredients
Steam expands quickly in a blender, and can cause ingredients to splatter everywhere or cause burns. To prevent this, fill the blender only one-third of the way up, vent the top, and cover with a folded kitchen towel while blending.