|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Servings: 12 to 15|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 10g||13%|
|Saturated Fat 5g||26%|
|Total Carbohydrate 15g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||4%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
The sweetness of the chopped apple and the saltiness of the bacon make a surprising and delicious combination of flavors. Feel free to add 1/2 cup of chopped pecans or sunflower seeds for a little more crunch.
Make these muffins for a weekend brunch or breakfast treat, or bake them and take them along to work or a morning meeting.
- 4 ounces (1/2 cup) butter (softened)
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 2/3 cup milk
- 3/4 cup finely chopped apple
- 1/2 cup diced cooked and drained bacon
Steps to Make It
Heat the oven to 375 F.
Spray muffin cups with nonstick baking spray or cooking spray.
In a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer, cream butter and brown sugar until light. Beat in the eggs until well blended.
In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon; stir or whisk to blend thoroughly.
Add the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture, alternating with the milk. Stir just until blended. Fold in the apple and bacon until blended.
Immediately spoon the batter into the prepared muffin pan, filling the cups about three-quarters full.
Bake for 18 to 22 minutes, until lightly browned.
Cool in the pan for about 10 minutes, then remove to a rack to cool completely.
- Since quick breads and muffins begin the rising process as soon as the dry ingredients and the wet ingredients are combined, it's a good idea to have the oven preheated and pans ready before you begin to prepare the batter.
- To adapt the recipe for mini muffins, use a mini muffin pan. Fill the greased mini muffin cups about three-quarters full and reduce the baking time to about 10 minutes. The recipe will make about 30 to 36 mini muffins.
- Bake some maple and brown sugar bacon for the recipe. Crumble and fold 1/2 cup into the batter. Bake as directed.