|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: about 2 1/2 cups (40 servings)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 1g||1%|
|Saturated Fat 0g||1%|
|Total Carbohydrate 4g||1%|
|Dietary Fiber 0g||1%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
You probably wouldn't think of applesauce as the base for a barbecue sauce. However, this recipe combines concentrated apple flavor with traditional ingredients, yielding a mouthwatering barbecue sauce specifically designed for grilled chicken. Be sure to pick an unsweetened applesauce to help balance the flavors.
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 onion (pureed)
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon molasses (add more if necessary)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
1. In a medium saucepan, heat olive oil and add pureed onion. Allow to cook for 1 to 2 minutes, making sure to stir as it cooks. Add garlic and cook one more minute. Add remaining ingredients, bring to a slight bubble, reduce heat and allow to simmer for 8 minutes.
2. Remove from heat and allow to cool before using.