You probably wouldn't think of applesauce as the base for a barbecue sauce. However, this recipe combines concentrated apple flavor with traditional ingredients, yielding a mouthwatering barbecue sauce specifically designed for grilled chicken. Be sure to pick an unsweetened applesauce to help balance the flavors.
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 onion (pureed)
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon molasses (add more if necessary)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
1. In a medium saucepan, heat olive oil and add pureed onion. Allow to cook for 1 to 2 minutes, making sure to stir as it cooks. Add garlic and cook one more minute. Add remaining ingredients, bring to a slight bubble, reduce heat and allow to simmer for 8 minutes.
2. Remove from heat and allow to cool before using.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||1 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||1 g|
|Dietary Fiber||0 g|