This apple cake is moist and loaded with chopped apples and either pecans or walnuts. We recently added the simple caramel glaze to the cake, but you can also use a basic vanilla glaze or one of its variations. A maple pecan glaze would be excellent on this apple cake as well.
Sprinkle extra chopped nuts over the glazed cake or garnish it with toasted coconut.
- 1 1/4 cups vegetable oil (canola, corn oil, or safflower are all good choices)
- 2 cups sugar*
- 3 large eggs
- 3 cups flour (13 1/2 ounces)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups apples (chopped)
- 1 cup nuts (chopped, pecans or walnuts)
- For the caramel Icing
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter (softened)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 to 6 tablespoons caramel dessert topping
- 3 to 6 tablespoons milk (or enough for a thin glaze)
- Optional: chopped nuts for garnish
Heat the oven to 325 F.
Generously butter a 12-cup Bundt cake pan, covering all the nooks and crannies. Dust with flour.
Combine the vegetable oil with sugar; add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition.
Combine the flour, salt, and baking soda together, and add to the first mixture.
Stir in the vanilla extract.
Fold in apples and nuts.
Spoon the batter into the prepared cake pan, and spread it evenly.
Bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour and 10 minutes to 1 hour and 20 minutes. A toothpick inserted into the cake should come out clean.
Cool the cake on a rack for 10 minutes in the pan; invert the cake onto a rack, and place it on a large sheet of foil or parchment paper.
When the cake has cooled completely, drizzle with your favorite icing or glaze, such as our caramel icing.
Combine the powdered sugar with the 2 tablespoons of softened butter, 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract, and 4 tablespoons of caramel dessert topping. Beat with a few tablespoons of milk. Add more milk and/or caramel sauce to taste and for drizzling consistency.
Spoon over the cake, letting excess drip to the foil or parchment. If desired, sprinkle with more chopped nuts or toasted coconut.
*If desired, replace 1/2 to 1 cup of the granulated sugar with packed brown sugar.
- This cake does not include spices. If you want a spiced apple cake, add 1 1/2 to 2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon and about 1/4 teaspoon of ground nutmeg to the dry ingredients.