- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (11 1/2 ounces)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- dash ground cloves
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup apple butter
- Optional: walnut or pecan halves
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Generously grease and flour bottoms of 3 8-inch layer cake pans.
- Measure sifted flour, baking soda, salt, and spices into sifter.
- Measure the milk into a 2-cup measure; add the vinegar. Let the milk mixture stand for 5 minutes to sour.
- In a mixing bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Sift in dry ingredients in about 4 additions, alternating with the soured milk.
- Beat on low speed just until blended.
- Stir in the apple butter and pour into pans.
- Bake in preheated 350 F oven for 30 minutes, or until center springs back when lightly touched with finger. Cool in pans on racks for 5 minutes.
- Loosen sides with a knife; turn out onto racks.
- Cool layers completely.
- Put layers together with cream cheese frosting or a Butter Frosting, then frost sides and top.
- Garnish with walnuts or pecans, if desired.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||8 g|
|Saturated Fat||3 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||3 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|