This sweet and spicy croissant grilled cheese is served warm which makes it crisp and gooey - the ultimate of flavor and texture combinations. With some spicy pepper jack cheese from Tillamook Cheese, a heaping spoonful of sweet and creamy apple butter, and a buttery and perfectly flaky croissant, this grilled cheese encompasses one of my favorite flavor combo’s SWEET & SPICY (and buttery) and it’s an excellent little treat that pairs nicely with an acidic Sauvignon Blanc if you fancy it in the afternoon.
Even though this recipe recommends that you grill the sandwich, this combination is also delicious as-is - whether that's a quick breakfast, a last minute dessert, or an unconventional lunch. You can even go to the next level with this and add some salty cured meat like prosciutto or speck.
To read more about this recipe, or to view step-by-step photographs, please click here to visit Grilled Cheese Social.
- 1 Croissant
- 1/2 cup Pepper Jack Cheese
- 1-2 tbsp Apple Butter
- Begin by gently slicing your croissant in half and laying some pepper jack cheese onto one side of the bread.
- Next, add your apple butter and then add the rest of the cheese on top. Now put the other half of the croissant back on top and set aside.
- In a small pan or panini press, add your sandwich and turn the heat to medium-low. Let the sandwich cook until the cheese has begun to melt and the exterior of the croissant starts to get crispy and golden brown.
- After a few minutes on each side, it should be ready to remove from the heat. Let it sit for a few minutes before serving so that the flavors can meld and the cheese can firm up so that it doesn't ooze out as soon as you bite into it.