Serve this wonderful bread pudding with the delicious apple brandy sauce, or use your favorite vanilla sauce.
I used Granny Smith apple in this pudding, but just about any good baking apple could be used in the dish. Jonathan, Fuji, Rome Beauty, and Cortland would all be good choices.
- 4 cups soft cinnamon bread, torn into small pieces
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 large Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored, very thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup raisins or chopped dried cranberries, optional
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Butter an 11x7-inch baking dish. Heat oven to 350 F.
- In a large bowl, combine bread, cinnamon, and apple slices, and raisins or chopped dried cranberries, if using; toss to mix.
- In a medium saucepan, combine milk, brown sugar, and butter; heat over medium heat until hot and butter is melted.
- In a medium bowl, whisk eggs with vanilla. Quickly whisk in the hot milk mixture then pour the mixture over the bread. Stir to mix well.
- Pour bread mixture into the prepared baking dish. Set a jelly roll pan or large shallow baking dish in the oven. Set the bread pudding pan inside the larger pan.
- Add very hot water to the outer pan to a depth of about 1/2-inch.
- Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, or until a knife inserted near center comes out clean.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||9 g|
|Saturated Fat||5 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||3 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|