Chicken breasts are universally loved because they are tender and juicy when cooked correctly, and because they combine well with so many different ingredients. This sweet and slightly spicy recipe is a case in point.
If you love cinnamon, increase the amount of cinnamon in this recipe to one teaspoon. This entree is delicious served with grilled asparagus and French bread.
Make sure that you buy chicken breasts that are no larger than 8 ounces each. The larger breasts come from older hens and are best braised or stewed. They will be tough if you cook them as this recipe directs.
When you are grilling chicken, make sure you are cooking over medium coals. Chicken needs some time to cook through. If the coals are any hotter than medium the meat may burn before the inside cooks through. In fact, indirect heat is one of the best ways to cook chicken. Place a grill pan in the center of the coal grate, and pile coals around it. If the chicken is cooking too quickly, place it over the part of the grate that doesn't have any coals.
Let the chicken rest after it comes off the grill for 5 to 10 minutes so the juices can redistribute. Then enjoy every juicy and flavorful bite!
Serve this chicken with some hot cooked rice or pasta, a gelatin fruit salad, some homemade and simple dinner rolls, and an ice cream pie or brownies for dessert.
- 2 tablespoons applesauce
- 1/3 cup apple jelly
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons honey Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
1. Prepare and preheat grill so the coals are medium. Make sure that the grill rack is very clean. .
2. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the applesauce, apply jelly, honey, honey Dijon mustard, cinnamon, salt, and pepper, and stir to combine.
3. When ready to cook, grease the grill rack with a paper towel dipped in oil.
4. Brush apple mixture on the chicken and place on grill 4-6" from medium coals.
5. Cook the chicken for 15-20 minutes, turning occasionally and brushing frequently with jelly mixture, until chicken is no longer pink and internal temperature reaches 165°F.
6. Discard any remaining jelly mixture.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||47 g|
|Saturated Fat||13 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||19 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|