This is a great cake to make for a special occasion or to top off a family dinner or holiday meal. Serve it warm with a scoop of ice cream or whipped cream and it's sure to be a hit at any gathering.
- 3 large apples (Golden Delicious)
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar (packed)
- 1 scant teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons butter (melted)
- For the Cake
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour (8 ounces)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup butter (room temperature)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup milk
1. Heat oven to 325F. Butter a 9-inch square cake pan or spray with baking spray.
2. Core the apples and cut into wedges; peel and slice thinly. Combine apple slices with the brown sugar, 1 scant teaspoon of cinnamon and 4 tablespoons of melted butter. Arrange the apple mixture in the prepared baking pan.
3. Combine the flour, salt, baking powder and 1 teaspoon cinnamon in a bowl.
4. In a large mixing bowl with electric mixer, beat butter with the sugar until light and fluffy.
Beat in eggs and vanilla extract. Add the flour mixture to the first mixture, alternating with the milk, beating just until blended. Spoon the batter evenly over the apple slices; gently spreading to cover.
5. Bake for 55 to 65 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
6. Invert the hot cake onto a platter or cake plate and let stand for about 5 minutes. Remove the pan and scrape up any fruit slices clinging to the pan and arrange them over the cake.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||25 g|
|Saturated Fat||14 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||9 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|