|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 1 bowl (8 servings)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 10g||12%|
|Saturated Fat 5g||23%|
|Total Carbohydrate 26g||9%|
|Dietary Fiber 3g||9%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This apple clafouti recipe, also know as clafouti aux pommes, is a homespun version of a traditional puffed French custard cake. The classic combination of apples, lemon, and cinnamon make a fantastic comfort dish.
- 1 tablespoon softened butter
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups sliced sweet-tart apples
- 1 tablespoon confectioners’ sugar (powdered)
- Gather the ingredients.
- Preheat an oven to 350F. Butter a 9-inch by 9-inch square baking dish or a 9-inch deep-dish pie round with the softened butter.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the milk, cream, flour, eggs, sugar, vanilla extract, lemon zest, cinnamon, and salt until it forms a smooth, thin batter. Spread 3/4 cup of the batter onto the bottom of the prepared baking dish and bake it for 2-4 minutes. Watch the batter closely and remove it before it cooks through completely. It should just start to thicken and set when it is removed from the oven.
- Transfer the dish to a heatproof surface and arrange the apples in fan pattern over the hot batter. Pour the remaining batter over the apples and bake for 35-40 minutes, until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Sprinkle the confectioners’ sugar over the finished clafouti and serve it warm.
- This apple clafouti recipe makes 8 servings.