|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
This dessert is easy enough for weeknight meals, but beautiful enough for family dinners and holiday celebrations, especially when served with homemade Dairy-Free Vanilla Ice Cream and VeganCaramel Sauce.
- 6 to 7 cups apple (chopped)
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch (dissolve in 1 tablespoon cold water)
- For the Topping:
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup white sugar (plus more for sprinkling)
- 6 tablespoons soy margarine (chopped into pieces)
- 1/2 cup plain unsweetened almond milk (or soymilk)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Lightly grease a 9" pie plate.
2. Prepare the filling. Place the apples and sugar in a small saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring until the sugar is dissolved. Stirring occasionally, cook until the apples are slightly tender, about 7 minutes. Add the cornstarch mixture, and cook until the mixture is slightly thickened, about 5 minutes more. Pour the filling into the prepared pie plate.
3. Prepare the topping. In a food processor, combine the white flour, baking powder, salt and sugar, pulsing until well mixed. Add the soy margarine and process until the mixture is crumbly. With the machine still running, add the soymilk gradually until the mixture just holds together and pulls away from the sides of the bowl.
4. Assemble the cobbler. Using your hands, pull and flatten pieces of dough between your fingers and gently lay these on top of the filling, overlapping and covering as much of the filling’s surface as possible. (The mixture will expand, so it is okay if not all of the topping is covered.) Once all of the dough has been used, sprinkle the topping generously with sugar. Bake until puffed up and golden brown, about 35-45 minutes. Serve warm, at room temperature or cold.