This is the ultimate turkey brine for flavor. The apple juice in this brine gives a sweet flavor to poultry and is perfect for turkey. Buy the cheapest apple juice you can find because it won't matter how much you spend and you are going to need a lot.
- 2 quarts water
- 2 quarts apple juice
- 1 cup of table salt or 1 1/2 cup kosher salt
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 10 whole cloves
- 1 cinnamon sticks
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- zest of one orange
- In a large pot combine salt, sugar and one quart of water. Bring to a simmer, stirring until salt and sugar have completely dissolved.
- Remove pot from heat and add cloves, cinnamon sticks, peppercorns and orange zest. Allow cooling completely, about 30 to 40 minutes. Add remaining water (cold) and apple juice. Refrigerate until brine is chilled.
- Place poultry in a large plastic container. Pour brine over top. Brine poultry for 1 hour per pound in the refrigerator.
- Thoroughly rinse all the brine from the turkey before cooking. This is vital to prevent the turkey from tasting excessively salty. For a more detailed explanation, see my article on brining a turkey.
- While this brine is perfect for turkey or even chicken, you can also use it for larger pork roasts.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||0 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||0 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|