Serve this scrumptious apple crisp with ice cream or whipped topping for an extra special dessert.
The recipe is a basic one, and it can be made with many different variations. I like to add cranberries to it around the holidays, and I always use brown sugar in the topping.
- 4 to 6 medium tart apples (peeled, cored, and sliced, or about 4 to 5 cups of slices)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar (firmly packed)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- For Topping:
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup quick cooking oats
- 6 tablespoons butter (melted)
- For Serving:
- Ice cream or whipped cream (if desired)
- Heat the oven to 375 F.
- Butter an 8-inch square baking dish.
- In a large bowl, toss the apple slices with the lemon juice, the brown sugar, 2 tablespoons of flour, and the cinnamon and nutmeg; arrange in the prepared baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, combine the granulated sugar, 1/2 cup flour, and the oats; stir in melted butter.
- Spread to topping mixture over the apples.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until apples are tender and top is nicely browned. Serve warm or cooled with ice cream or whipped cream (see below).
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator. To reheat, place it in a baking dish and heat in a preheated 350 F oven.
Tips and Variations
- Make the topping with 1/3 cup of brown sugar instead of granulated sugar.
- Add about 1/2 cup of dried cranberries or raisins to the filling.
- Add 1 to 1 1/2 cups of fresh chopped cranberries.
- Add 1/4 teaspoon of ground cinnamon to the topping crumbs.
- Use half apples and half pears in the crisp, or make the filling will all sliced pears.
- Add about 1/4 cup of chopped pecans, walnuts, or hazelnuts to the crumb topping.
- Serve the crisp with homemade or purchased caramel sauce for drizzling.
- Sweetened Whipped Cream, Vanilla or Maple: Beat 1/2 cup of cold whipping cream until soft peaks form. Add 2 tablespoons of confectioners' sugar and 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract or 2 tablespoons of maple syrup. Continue beating until it holds stiff peaks.
You Might Also Like