Keep apple pie on the menu with this low-fat galette-style apple phyllo pie. I like to use Granny Smith apples, but there are plenty of other options, such as Braeburn, Pink Lady, and Jonagold.
- 5 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. flour
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tbsp. warm water
- 6 sheets 9-inch by 14-inch phyllo dough
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Coat a 9-inch pie plate with nonstick cooking spray. Peel, core, and slice apples thinly. Combine apples, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, lemon, and flour in a large bowl and set aside.
- In a small pitcher or bowl, mix honey with warm water.
- Stack six phyllo sheets on a clean surface. Working quickly, brush the top sheet with the honey mixture and lay on the pie plate. Push the dough into the plate, leaving the sides overhanging.
- Brush the next sheet and lay on top of the first sheet.
- Brush the third layer and lay it so that the sides overhang the opposite side of the plate, making a cross shape. Do the same with the fourth sheet.
- Brush the fifth sheet with honey and lay it at an angle to the other sheets, and lay the sixth sheet at the opposite angle to the fifth.
- Spoon apple mixture into the pie plate, forming a large mound.
- Gather overhanging sides of phyllo sheets up to form a galette-style pie (where some of the fruit remains exposed in the center).
- Place in the oven and Bake for 30 to 35 minutes. Serves 6 to 8.
Per Serving: Calories 173, Calories from Fat 9, total Fat 1g (sat 0.3g), Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 60mg, Carbohydrate 39.9, Fiber 2.5g, Protein 1.1g
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||2 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||1 g|
|Dietary Fiber||5 g|