|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 0g||1%|
|Saturated Fat 0g||1%|
|Total Carbohydrate 56g||20%|
|Dietary Fiber 5g||18%|
|Total Sugars 45g|
|Vitamin C 9mg||43%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Typically, the Old Fashioned is made with a sugar cube, bitters, and American whiskey; and the underlying flavors mainly hinge upon your preferred whiskey. But this particular Old-Fashioned introduces a lovely autumn flavor by just adding a touch of apple pie liqueur. There are a few different varieties of apple pie liqueurs, but the best one is Rattlesnake Rosie's Apple Pie Whiskey. Just look for a squat bottle with a snake-draped woman on the label.
Everyone loves a delicious apple pie in the fall months, especially around Thanksgiving. But if you don’t have time to bake one and want something new to sip on, this lovely Apple Pie Old-Fashioned recipe is definitely worth trying at home.
"This seasonal cocktail stands out as a flavorful and not too sweet version of the very popular Old Fashioned. The Apple Pie whiskey blends well with the apple brandy, and the Apple Blossom Bitters add a touch of interest. Take the time to dry some apple slices in your oven to make a really spectacular garnish.” —Joan Velush
1/2 teaspoon maple syrup
3 dashes apple blossom bitters
1/2 ounce apple pie whiskey or liqueur
1 3/4 ounces apple brandy
1 dried apple slice, for garnish
Steps to Make It
Gather the ingredients.
Add the maple syrup to a short rocks glass. Then add the apple blossom bitters, apple pie whiskey, and apple brandy.
Place a large ice rock into the glass and stir until cold, about 10 seconds.
Garnish with one dried apple slice. Enjoy!
- There are a few apple pie liqueurs, but the best one is Rattlesnake Rosie's Apple Pie Whiskey.
- Try to use organic maple syrup. The best kind comes from Vermont; just saying.
- The preferred bitters for this cocktail is Hella Apple Blossom bitters. It has a lovely apple-cinnamon flavor, and the perfect amount of bitterness.
- You are more than welcome to use American whiskey, but an Apple Brandy (Applejack) is best for this cocktail. Laird’s still holds the title for best Applejack for Old-Fashioneds.
- If you choose to use whiskey instead of Apple Brandy, any whiskey will suffice, but Town Branch Rye is an amazing choice for this recipe.
- If you do not have a large ice cube, just use normal ice. Or you could just purchase large ice molds from Amazon. The large ice cube helps to drink to stay cold without becoming overly diluted.
- If you can’t find any dried apple slices in stores, you can make your own in the oven.
If you want another interesting variation of this Old-Fashioned, you could make this taste just like a pancake & bacon breakfast by just simply replacing the apple pie liqueur with Rosie’s “Maple Bacon” liqueur. Just look for a fat bottle with a pig on the label.
How Strong Is an Apple Pie Old Fashioned?
This cocktail has an ABV around 42% (84 Proof), as Applejack is slightly stronger than the typical American whiskies.