|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 4 cups (8 servings)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 0g||1%|
|Saturated Fat 0g||0%|
|Total Carbohydrate 81g||30%|
|Dietary Fiber 6g||21%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
You can chop the apples if you plan to use it for hand pies, but you could slice the apples thinly or chop them coarsely for a pie or cobbler.
The recipe can easily be doubled or multiplied for more pies. See the tips and variations for freezing instructions and a few other ideas.
Gather the ingredients.
Peel and core the apples. Dice coarsely or finely or slice them and put them in a large bowl. Use a larger dice for pies or a smaller dice for hand pies or filling.
Toss the apples with the lemon juice.
In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine the sugar and cornstarch; stir to blend.
Add the apples, nutmeg, salt, and cinnamon. Bring the mixture to a simmer while stirring constantly.
Reduce the heat to low and continue cooking, frequently stirring, for about 20 to 30 minutes, or until apples are tender and the mixture is quite thick. Stir in the vanilla.
Let the filling cool for about 30 to 45 minutes.
Use the filling in a pie, in hand-held pies, cobbler, apple crisp, or turnovers. Enjoy.
How to Store and Freeze
- If you will not be using the filling immediately, store it in containers in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
- To freeze, cool the filling completely. Measure the cooled filling into freezer containers leaving about 1/2-inch of headspace, or pack it into heavy-duty freezer bags. Seal, label with the volume, name and date. Store it in the freezer for up to 12 months.
- To thaw, leave it in the refrigerator in a bin until ready to use.
- Substitute 2 1/2 cups of pie filling for one 20-ounce can of pie filling.
- Spiced Apple Pie: Replace the cinnamon and nutmeg with an apple pie spice blend.
- Pear Pie Filling: Replace the apples with cored, peeled, and diced or sliced fresh pears.