Have your pie/cake and eat it too! Using a cast iron skillet, this recipe combines apple pie and baked apple spice cake into one irresistible dessert. Topped with a beautiful apple slice rosette pattern, it only takes about 20 minutes to bake on the stove.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (softened)
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1-1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 large apples (of your choice, thinly sliced)
- 1 tbsp. cinnamon sugar (make your own by mixing 4 parts sugar to 1 part cinnamon).
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and grease a 9" cast iron skillet.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the butter and brown sugar for 2-3 minutes until light and fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla and continue to beat until smooth. If you don’t have a mixer, you can mix by hand, it’s just more work.
- In a another bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
- With the mixer on low, begin adding a small amount of the flour mixture. Then alternate and add a small amount of the buttermilk. Keep alternating until both are added. Mix until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the skillet and evenly distribute.
- Cut the apples into thin slices and arrange them carefully on top of the batter, starting from the inside, in overlapping circles, and working your way out to the edges. Make sure the skillet is covered and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Bake for 20 minutes, or until slightly golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean from the center. Serve warm with a bit more cinnamon sugar or vanilla ice cream.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||17 g|
|Saturated Fat||9 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||5 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|