A rich and delicious cream cheese pastry makes this apple pie inviting and extra special. Sprinkle some decorative sugar over the glaze just before baking.
I used a combination of Granny Smith and Golden Delicious apples in this pie, to balance the sweet taste with tartness.
- For the Pastry:
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter (6 ounces, room temperature)
- 6 ounces cream cheese (room temperature)
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (11 ounces, plus more for rolling)
- 6 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- For the Filling:
- 8 medium apples (baking variety)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 dash salt
- 2 tablespoons butter (cut in small pieces)
- For the Egg Wash/Glaze:
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Optional: sugar
- For the pastry, using an electric mixer, beat the 12 tablespoons of butter and the cream cheese until creamy.
- Add the cream and beat until smooth.
- Add the flour, sugar, and salt. Beat on low speed just until the dough holds together.
- Turn out onto a generously floured surface. Gather into a ball, knead a few times, and divide into two equal pieces.
- Shape into disks and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the apples. Peel, core, and slice the apples into thin wedges.
- Combine the slices in a large bowl with the lemon juice, 1/4 cup of flour, cornstarch, 1/2 cup granulated sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and a dash of salt.
- Toss to combine the ingredients.
- On a well-floured surface with floured rolling pin, roll out one disk to a 12-inch circle.
- Transfer to the pie pan and press in the bottom and up the sides. Trim edge.
- Fill the pastry-lined pie pan with the apple mixture.
- Preheat the oven to 375 F;.
- Take the second disk out of the refrigerator and roll out on a floured surface with floured rolling pin.
- Transfer to the filled pie pan. Fold and crimp the edge as desired.
- With a sharp paring knife cut several slits in the top of the pie.
- Combine the egg yolk and milk or cream.
- Brush the top of the pie lightly and sprinkle with a little granulated sugar or cinnamon sugar blend.
- Place the pie in the oven on a large sheet of foil.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, until the apple filling is tender and the pastry is golden brown.
- If the crust edge is getting too brown before the apples are tender, gather the foil up and over the edge all around the pie or make a foil ring about 12 inches in diameter and 2 inches in width.*
*Put the foil ring on the pie before baking and take it off before the end of baking, or put it on after the crust is well browned.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||39 g|
|Saturated Fat||21 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||13 g|
|Dietary Fiber||5 g|