Here is a tasty fall recipe for Apple Spice Cake.
As the name implies, spice cake is traditionally flavored with a variety of spices including cinnamon, cloves, allspice, ginger and nutmeg.
Apple cake is a popular dessert made with the main ingredient of apples. Such a cake is made through the process of slicing this sweet fruit to add fragrance to a plain cake base. Traditional apple cakes, such as the above Apple Spice Cake, go a step further by including various spices such as nutmeg or cinnamon, which give a unique flavor. Upon the addition of spices, the batter can also be accompanied by crushed nuts, the most popular being walnuts and almonds.
Dorset apple cake, Devon apple cake, and Somerset apple cake are traditional forms of this cake, respectively from Dorset, Devon, and Somerset, England. They may include apple juices local to these countries as part of their recipes, but are not necessary.
Apples are also used in other cakes, including chocolate cake, where their water-retention can help a normally-dry cake to stay moist. In this case, they may be either dried or fresh.
This spice cake, which uses three of those spices, also features apples, hence the name Apple Spice Cake, and is great for a summer of fall party.
- 3 medium apples (peeled, cored, thinly sliced)
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 2 cups cake flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter (softened)
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup apple schnapps (or apple juice, milk, water or a combination)
- Toss apple slices with spices and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 9x13 pan. In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt with a wire whisk.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar.
- Add eggs one at a time. Add flour mixture alternately with apple schnapps.
- Stir in apple slices.
- Bake Apple Spice Cake for 30 to 38 minutes.
The amount of servings will depend on how many slices cut.
Optional: Serve Apple Spice Cake with a dollop of whipped cream and sprinkled with cinnamon.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||11 g|
|Saturated Fat||6 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||4 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|