- 1 gallon/3.8 L water (cold)
- 2 quarts/1.9 L apple juice
- 2 quarts/1.9 L orange juice
- 2 cup/475 mL salt (3 cups/710 mL Kosher or coarse salt)
- 1/2 cup/120 mL brown sugar
- 10 cloves (whole)
- 1 tablespoon/15 mL nutmeg (ground)
- Pour apple and orange juice into a large pot over a medium heat. Add salt, brown sugar, cloves and nutmeg. Simmer for 15 minutes over medium heat until salt and sugar are completely dissolved. Remove from heat and allow to cool. At least 40-60 minutes. After the mixture has sufficiently cooled, add the cold water.
- Place poultry in a large plastic container or a large stockpot. Pour brine over top. Brine poultry covered for 1 hour per pound (450 g) in the refrigerator.
- Thoroughly rinse all the brine from the turkey before cooking. Otherwise, there will be a salty flavor to the turkey. For a more detailed explanation, see my article on brining a turkey.
- Pat turkey dry inside and out, and apply your rub of choice. Cook meat as directed.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||4 g|
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||0 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|