|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Servings: 12 to 16|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 23g||30%|
|Saturated Fat 11g||54%|
|Total Carbohydrate 45g||16%|
|Dietary Fiber 2g||7%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This delicious apple cake is filled with a mixture of chopped apples and a spiced pecan and brown sugar streusel. It makes a fabulous coffee cake or dessert.
Serve it as is or add a simple vanilla glaze. See the quick vanilla glaze instructions below the recipe.
- For the Streusel:
- 1 1/4 cups light brown sugar (packed)
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour (3 1/2 ounces)
- 1/2 cup butter (cold, cut into small pieces)
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- For the Cake:
- 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (14 1/2 ounces)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup butter (room temperature)
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups vanilla yogurt (16 ounces)
- 3 medium apples, Golden Delicious or Granny Smith (peeled, cored, and diced)
Gather the ingredients.
Preheat the oven to 350 F/180 C/Gas 4 and generously grease and flour a 10-inch tube pan or nonstick Bundt cake pan.
Make the streusel by combining 1 1/4 cups brown sugar, 3/4 cup flour, the cold butter pieces, and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Mix with a fork until crumbly, and butter is blended in well.
Stir in chopped pecans. Set aside.
Combine 3 1/4 cups flour, baking powder, baking soda in a separate bowl.
Cream butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla extract and vanilla yogurt.
Beat in the dry ingredients with the mixer on low speed, just until blended.
Spoon about 3 cups of the batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup of the streusel mixture and the apples, then 1/2 cup of the streusel mixture.
Spoon remaining batter over streusel apple layer. Then top with remaining streusel. Press streusel down into batter lightly.
Bake cake in the preheated oven for 50 to 60 minutes, or until a wooden pick or cake tester inserted in center comes out clean.
Cool for 5 minutes in the pan.
Hold a baking sheet over the top of the cake and carefully invert it. Remove tube pan or bundt pan; cool completely. Move to a serving plate and ice with vanilla glaze, if desired.
- Quick Vanilla Glaze - Combine 1 1/2 cups of powdered sugar with 3 tablespoons of soft butter. Add 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract and 2 to 4 tablespoons of hot water, or enough to make a glaze that can be drizzled over the cake.