This delicious apple cake is filled with a mixture of chopped apples and a spiced pecan and brown sugar streusel. It makes a fabulous coffee cake or dessert.
Serve it as is or add a simple vanilla glaze. See the quick vanilla glaze instructions below the recipe.
- 1 1/4 cups light brown sugar, packed
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour (3 1/2 ounces)
- 1/2 cup butter, cold, cut into small pieces
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (14 1/2 ounces)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup butter (room temperature)
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups vanilla yogurt (16 ounces)
- 3 medium apples, Golden Delicious or Granny Smith, peeled, cored, and diced
- Heat the oven to 350 F (180 C/Gas 4).
- Generously grease and flour a 10-inch tube pan or nonstick Bundt cake pan.
- In a medium bowl, combine 1 1/4 cups brown sugar, 3/4 cup flour, the cold butter pieces, and cinnamon. Mix with a fork until crumbly, and butter is blended in well. Stir in chopped pecans.
- In a bowl, combine 3 2/4 cups flour, baking powder, baking soda.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla extract and vanilla yogurt.
- With the mixer on low speed, beat in the dry ingredients just until blended.
- Spoon about 3 cups of the batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup of the streusel mixture and the apples, then 1/2 cup of the streusel mixture.
- Spoon remaining batter over streusel apple layer.
- Top with remaining streusel. Press streusel down into batter lightly.
- Bake cake in the preheated oven for 50 to 60 minutes, or until a wooden pick or cake tester inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool for 5 minutes in the pan.
- Hold a baking sheet over top of the cake and carefully invert it. Remove tube pan or bundt pan; cool completely. Move to a serving plate, if desired.
Tips and Variations
Quick Vanilla Glaze - Combine 1 1/2 cups of powdered sugar with 3 tablespoons of soft butter. Add 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract and 2 to 4 tablespoons of hot water, or enough to make a glaze that can be drizzled over the cake.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||23 g|
|Saturated Fat||11 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||9 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|