While boxes of pancake mix are convenient, it really doesn't take much time to make your own pancake batter. For a little extra fiber, try these yummy applesauce oatmeal pancakes. Resist the temptation to top them with butter. A little maple syrup is perfect, or try some warmed applesauce and a sprinkling of cinnamon.
- 1/2 cup flour (all-purpose, or substitute whole wheat flour for half the amount)
- 1/2 cup oats (quick-cooking or old-fashioned)
- 1/2 cup milk (fat-free)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup applesauce (unsweetened)
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- Place ingredients in a medium bowl and whisk until well blended.
- Heat a griddle to 375 F (medium). When griddle is hot, pour about 1/4 cup of pancake batter per pancake. Cook until bubbles appear and edges are puffed. Flip the pancakes and cook until golden.
Per two-pancake serving: Calories 248, Calories from Fat 46, Total Fat 5.2g (sat 0.6g), Cholesterol 1mg, Sodium 309mg, Carbohydrate 42.7g, Fiber 2.9g, Protein 7.8g
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||5 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||2 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|