These armadillo eggs are one of the best ideas I've heard of lately. A Spicy bratwurst sausage molded around a jalapeno pepper stuffed with cream cheese to form an egg.
These make the perfect snack or appetizer for parties and game day activities.
- Cut the stem ends off the jalapeno pepper and use a small knife to cut the seeds out. Keep the peppers whole.
- Put the cream cheese into a small bowl and use a toothpick to add a tiny bit of the paste food coloring (this paste is very concentrated, so a little goes a long way).
- Mix the coloring thoroughly into the cream cheese. Add more, if you need it, to achieve a bright golden color, like the yolk of an egg.
- Transfer the cream cheese to a pastry bag fitted with a wide tip and pipe the cheese into the jalapenos. (You can make your own pastry bag by using a small zippered plastic bag and snipping off one corner.)
- Divide the sausage into 12 pieces.
- Flatten each sausage piece into a disk, place a filled jalapeno in the center, and wrap the sausage around it, pressing the edges to seal. Form the sausage into the shape of a large egg.
- Smoke for 1 1/2 hours at 250 F (120 C).
- Slice to serve. The slices will resemble sliced hard-cooked eggs, with the colored cream cheese looking like the yolk.
- Serve with the dressing, if desired.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||84 g|
|Saturated Fat||34 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||33 g|
|Dietary Fiber||8 g|