These armadillo eggs are one of the best ideas I've heard of lately. A Spicy bratwurst sausage molded around a jalapeno pepper stuffed with cream cheese to form an egg.
These make the perfect snack or appetizer for parties and game day activities.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Peace, Love, and Barbecue by Mike Mills and Amy Mills Tunnicliffe.
- Cut the stem ends off the jalapeno pepper and use a small knife to cut the seeds out. Keep the peppers whole.
- Put the cream cheese into a small bowl and use a toothpick to add a tiny bit of the paste food coloring (this paste is very concentrated, so a little goes a long way).
- Mix the coloring thoroughly into the cream cheese. Add more, if you need it, to achieve a bright golden color, like the yolk of an egg.
- Transfer the cream cheese to a pastry bag fitted with a wide tip and pipe the cheese into the jalapenos. (You can make your own pastry bag by using a small zippered plastic bag and snipping off one corner.)
- Divide the sausage into 12 pieces.
- Flatten each sausage piece into a disk, place a filled jalapeno in the center, and wrap the sausage around it, pressing the edges to seal. Form the sausage into the shape of a large egg.
- Smoke for 1 1/2 hours at 250 F (120 C).
- Slice to serve. The slices will resemble sliced hard-cooked eggs, with the colored cream cheese looking like the yolk.
- Serve with the dressing, if desired.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|