|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 14g||18%|
|Saturated Fat 2g||10%|
|Total Carbohydrate 33g||12%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||5%|
|Total Sugars 1g|
|Vitamin C 36mg||182%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Chaufa is one of the premier dishes from the Chinese-Peruvian culinary fusion that started when the Chinese first arrived in South America as laborers during the 19th century. Chaufa comes from the Chinese chǎofàn, which means "fried rice," and was, in origin, a mix of everything the Chinese had at hand to feed themselves: rice, some meats, some vegetables, ginger, and soy sauce. That's why there is no one way of making chaufa, as each cook puts in it what they have at hand.
Chaufa is a great way to use leftover rice and it's a one-dish meal. Add leftover roasted chicken, pork, hot dogs, or just vegetables. It comes together in just minutes once the simple prep work of chopping the vegetables and assembling the ingredients is done. Check our tips and make your rice true to tradition by cooking it Peruvian style.
2 large eggs
Salt and pepper (to taste)
4 tablespoons oil, divided (vegetable or sesame)
1 red bell pepper
6 to 8 scallions, sliced (1 bunch, whites and greens separated)
1 tablespoon fresh ginger (peeled and chopped)
1 cup shredded cooked chicken (or shredded pork, or 3 hot dogs, thinly sliced)
4 cups cooked rice
3 tablespoons soy sauce
Gather the ingredients.
Whisk the eggs together with a pinch of salt and some ground pepper. Heat up 2 tablespoons of oil in a wok or large frying pan.
Pour the eggs into the hot oil and fry for 1 to 2 minutes. Turn the egg pancake over and finish cooking.
When cooked through, remove the eggs to a plate, coarsely chop, and set aside.
Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil to the wok and add the bell pepper, white parts of the scallion, and ginger. Sauté the mixture for 2 to 3 minutes.
Add the meat to the wok and sauté for a couple of minutes more, until heated through.
Add the cooked rice, green parts of the scallions, and the soy sauce and cook, constantly stirring, until everything is well heated.
Stir in the chopped egg pancake. Serve and enjoy!
How To Store and Freeze
- Refrigerate leftover cooled fried rice in airtight containers for up to 4 days.
- To freeze fried rice, spoon it into zip-close freezer bags or freezer containers.
- When reheating fried rice on the stovetop or in the microwave, make sure it is uniformly hot throughout, at least 165 F, the minimum safe temperature for leftovers.
What Rice Is Best for Fried Rice?
Jasmine rice or Chinese-style medium-grain rice are excellent choices for fried rice, but any long grain white rice will work. Make sure to rinse the rice thoroughly before cooking to remove excess starch.
Can I Use Freshly Cooked Rice To Make Fried Rice?
Rice that has been well rinsed, cooked, and then chilled for a few hours or overnight is ideal for fried rice. If you are using freshly cooked rice, spread it out on a tray and let it cool for 5 to 10 minutes. If you have time, put the tray in the refrigerator for about 20 minutes.
Perfect Rice - Peruvian Style
Try this simple recipe to make the perfect white rice to use in your chaufa. You need 1 cup of medium or long-grain rice, 1 1/3 cups of water, and a sturdy pot:
- Mix the water and rice in the pot until the rice lays flat. The water should cover the rice by about half an inch.
- Cover the pot and cook on high until the mixture boils, or approximately 5 minutes.
- Lower the heat to medium and cook for another 5 minutes without taking the lid off. At this point, there shouldn't be any water left and the rice surface should have small holes.
- Turn the heat off and remove it from the burner.
- Let the rice cool off with the lid on for a whole hour.
- With clean hands, break the rice clumps into smaller chunks and separate the grain as much as you can without overworking it. Let it cool completely, with the lid on, for another hour.
- Now the rice is perfect for fried rice recipes.
- Add 2 to 3 cloves of minced garlic to the rice when adding the ginger.
- For extra protein, increase the eggs to 3 or 4.
- Make the chaufa with cooked quinoa instead of rice.