This artichoke Gruyere dip is a classic appetizer with many variations. This recipe is simple and fast and lets the rich flavor of Gruyere cheese shine through. The dip is lighter than some, with less mayonnaise weighing it down.
Canned vs. Jarred Artichoke Hearts
Use a brand of artichoke hearts you've tried and like for this recipe. Sometimes, canned artichoke hearts can have a metallic flavor and the texture can be mushy, so we prefer to stick with artichoke hearts sold in glass jars.
Jarred artichoke hearts are sold both plain and marinated. We prefer the plain artichokes, as marinated artichoke hearts can have a sharp vinegar flavor and we don't always love the added seasonings. If you can only find marinated artichoke hearts, they can be rinsed in water to remove some of the vinegar flavors.
Frozen artichoke hearts can be a good option as well, especially for dips like this. Frozen artichoke hearts can be mushy when defrosted, but that doesn't matter as much when they're chopped up into a warm dip like this.
Instead of Gruyere, other types of similar cheeses can be used. Try Appenzeller, Comte, Fontina Val D'Aosta or another type of Alpine cheese. Parmigiano-Reggiano is also a good option. Or, instead of using just one cheese, try combing several different types of cheese.
Artichoke Dip Variations
This artichoke Gruyere dip can be changed by adding additional ingredients. Try adding:
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Pulse artichoke hearts in a food processor to break them up into small pieces, about 20 seconds.
- Add yogurt/sour cream, mayonnaise, cayenne pepper and 3/4 cup Gruyere cheese. Pulse a few seconds until just blended.
- Scrape into a baking dish and bake 20 minutes, uncovered, until warmed through and slightly bubbly.
- Sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup grated cheese on top and the fresh herbs (if using) and put under the broiler for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with slices of crusty bread. Try rubbing the bread with olive oil and toasting it in the oven first.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||19 g|
|Saturated Fat||10 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||5 g|
|Dietary Fiber||0 g|